Sunday 29 August 2010

All Wrapped Up

Akin to my yearly strife with the agonizing winter boot purchase, trying to decide what coat to buy, or rather, invest in, this winter presents another huge decision. Camel coats, shearling jackets, capes and classic, simple-lined styles; the A/W runways have left us spoilt for choice with an impressive selection of delectable designs and left me in the grips of a dilemma.


Chloé
Fendi
Stella McCartney

Burberry Prosum
Céline
In light of this I've decided to wait until I've met 'the one': be it hanging in all it's overpriced glory on a rail in Topshop or shoved in a bin bag in the back of a Salvation Army branch somewhere, I'm not losing hope that my perfect match for A/W 2010/11 is out there and instead of rushing into something, I want our eventual union to be 'special'.

Thankfully, as a wise, poodle-permed ex boy-band member once sang: "what goes around comes around" and in this case it's my beloved Zara blanket wrap coat. Purchased in November 2008, at £120 it was the most expensive thing I'd ever dared buy, after months of lusting after it's cosy, fringed, alpaca-mix glory.























Conveniently, the blanket wrap (though hardly one of this seasons super-trends) was seen scattered throughout the Autumn Ready-to-Wear collections; interpreted particularly well by Kenzo, Guy Laroche and Wunderkind. Even Chloe exhibited a beautiful charcoal-coloured, fringed number. 

Kenzo

Kenzo

Kenzo

Wunderkind

Guy Laroche

Wunderkind

Chloé
In muted shades of grey with buckles, tassels and the odd flash of colour, this year's blanket wrap provides the wearer with an easier, more versatile, yet no less chic alternative to the cape: allowing one full use of one's arms and eliminating the handbag issue. Undoubtedly less likely to date than my idealised, camel-coloured, shearling cape trend hybrid (and currently hanging in my wardrobe), I think I've found my perfect companion for no strings attached (aside from the tassels) winter warming.
Until 'the one' finds me I'm quite content with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment