Monday 30 August 2010

Charity Begins At Home

"I probably shouldn't tell you this,
 but I wore this to Sankeys in 1996 and
pulled the best looking man of my life in it."

That was the introduction my mother offered as she bequeathed to me one of the few wearable relics of her youth; not cast aside in one of her numerous extensive clear-outs. The dress in question is a super-short, black, high-necked, sleeveless body-con number; perfectly cut, (Very Jil Sander-esque) and definitely in keeping with fashion's minimalist renaissance. Most importantly, and unsurprisingly, it fits like a glove.

There's definitely something sentimentally special about inheriting one's mother's prized LBD, or even better, two of them! The second came without the rare anecdotal insight into my mother's single past, unfortunately. Nonetheless it is still a fantastic piece and it's low-cut, low backed, halterneck shape provides all the aspects of the perfect black dress I have lusted after but haven't had the pleasure of acquainting until now.


So Mummy, I am eternally grateful to you for letting me inherit our perfect little black numbers. That said, I make no promises of proving the power and prowess of your pulling dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment